Customized Performance . . .
Not just what you want, but what you need.
Designers and engineers in industries throughout the world have been using Johns Manville glass fiber specialty mats for many years. But the products they have developed, as well as those they've improved, are but a fraction of the wide range of applications that can be created using revolutionary mat products along with Johns Manville's ability to custom-design and produce.
Due to unique physical and chemical properties, glass fiber specialty mat products can be used to reinforce, laminate, finish, decorate, filter and insulate. Today, advanced technology and new forms of fibers are leading the way for increasingly imaginative functional and economical solutions for better products for all types of markets.
Johns Manville Dura-Glass® specialty mats can be formulated to meet any application requirement. Customized design according to your particular needs results by adapting dynamic properties of composition, fiber diameter, orientation, dispersion, blending and binder resin selection. This way, your product is assured the exact properties and appearance necessary for optimal performance in its specific operating envlronment.
Unique properties for unique products
Johns Manville starts with the highest quality raw materials to produce glass filaments chopped into short lengths. Using "wetprocess" manufacturing, these fibers, along with other types of fibers if specified, are water-dispersed to create a mat of extremely consistent density, with mil thickness capability from 6 to 100 mils. The mat is then treated with various high-quality binders and dried to complete the manufacture of these unique products.
There are several dynamic properties of Johns Manville Dura-Glass® specialty mats that affects the final product. They include:
Unique technical capability and facility
- Glass Composition: Specialty mat composition can be varied to produce "E"-Grade glass products for general purpose use in most applications, or "T"-Grade chemical glass products for use in corrosive applications
- Fiber Diameter: Several fiber diameters are available to meet specific requirements for tensile strength, flexibility, porosity and density.
- Fiber Orientation: Fibers may be oriented parallel, non-parallel or omni-directional as necessary to provide the strength ratio your product requires.
- Fiber Dispersion: Fibers can either be dispersed evenly for a smoother finish, or randomly for a rougher finish.
- Fiber Blending: All-glass fibers may be blended with polymer fibers, such as cellulosic, polyester and nylon, to impart specific performance characteristics.
- Binder Selection: Comprising as much as 30% of the final product, resin binders can be selected to create flexible or rigid dimensional stability, flame/smoke retardance and chemical resistance, as well as aesthetic value in terms of texture and color.
Johns Manville technicians possess the capabilities and expertise to develop a specialty mat to meet your needs. They will vary the composition of the mat, fiber size, fiber type and binders needed to achieve the performance you want.
Then, utilizing our unique pilot matline, they'll produce sample quantities of your specific product for you to try.
Take advantage of the newest, most cost-effective glass fiber technology available
We're ready to work with you on new ways to improve your current and future products. If you would like to talk about some of your own ideas using glass fiber specialty mat, contact Johns Manville.
Battery separators made of glass fiber specialty mat extend the normal life
Specialty mat makes modified bitumen roofs stronger and
more dimensionally stable.
As a backing for vinyl flooring,
the dimensional stability added
makes floors stay flat.
Carpet tiles with specialty mat
have greater dimensional strength
and fire resistance.
Substrates made of
thermoformable specialty mat
provide strength and conformability.