- High resolution Scanning Electron Microscopy imaging with electronic image collection, image analysis, and quantitative elemental analysis.
- Optical microscopy with plane and polarized light, phase contrast, and a variety of interference techniques. Semi-automated image analysis.
- Fiber and particle characterization
- Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM) in both contact and non-contact modes on samples up to 6" in diameter.
- X-Ray Diffraction both qualitative and quantitative analysis
- All NIOSH methods for asbestos and crystalline silica analyses
- Specialized sample preparations including thin and polished section cross-sections of films, fibers, and particles, ion beam milling, plasma ashing and chemical etching
- Chemical and physical separations and extractions
- Preparation of biological samples and animal tissues for microscopic analysis.
Laboratory instrumentation includes the following major instruments as well as a wide range of ancillary equipment necessary for sample preparation and data analysis.
- Hitachi S-4200 Field Emission Source Scanning Electron Microscope
- JEOL JXA-840 Scanning Microprobe with Energy and Wavelength dispersive x-ray analysis capability
- Digital Instruments Dimension-3000 Atomic Force Microscope
- Siemens D-500 X-ray diffractometer with 40 sample auto-changer